1.0 Scheme Name: Welder Certification Scheme
1.1 Scheme Code: WC
1.2 Scope of certification:
To certify a candidate with respect to his competency in carrying out Welding as per relevant code or standard covering the following:
- Preparing of equipment and materials for welding operation.
- Carrying out cutting operations of plate materials prior to welding if required.
- Weld joint preparation.
- Carry out welding by relevant process.
- Preparation of basic weld joints for assessment of quality.
- f) Safe working practices.
1.2.1 Codes and Standards under the scope of Certification is given in the Table below:
|1||IS7310 Part I||Approval tests for welders working to approved welding procedures, Part I: Fusion welding of steel|
|2||IS 7318 Part I||Approval tests for welders when welding procedure approval is not required, Part I: Fusion welding of steel|
|3||IS 7318 Part II||Approval tests for welders when welding procedure approval is not required, Part II: TIG or MIG welding of aluminium and its alloys|
|4||EN ISO 9606-1||Qualification testing of welders – Fusion welding, Part 1: Steels|
|5||EN ISO 9606-2||Qualification test of welders – Fusion welding, Part 2: Aluminium and aluminium alloys|
|6||EN-287-1||Qualification test of welders – Fusion welding, Part 1: Steels|
|7||ASME BPVC Section IX||Welding, Brazing and Fusing Qualifications|
|8||AWS-D1.1 / D1.1M||Structural Welding Code – Steel|
|9||AWS-D1.2 / D1.2M||Structural Welding Code –Aluminium|
|10||AWS:D 1.3/D1.3M||Structural Welding Code – Sheet Steel|
|11||AWS: D 1.6 / D1.6M||Structural Welding Code -Stainless Steel|
|12||–||Any other National and International Codes and Standards for Welder Qualification|
1.3 Job and task description:
- a) Should be able to read and understand relevant WPS, WPQR, Work instructions and have basic understanding of the process.
- b) Should be able to carry out welding of joints covered under national /international standards within the permitted type of material, thickness, joint type and position covered in the WPS used.
- c) Should be familiar with relevant process, equipment, parameters, consumables and able to use of correct welding equipment, raw material and welding consumables.
- d) Should be conversant with hazards of gas cutting and different arc welding processes and adopted correct precautions.
1.4 Required Competence:
- a) Read and understand relevant WPS, WPQR, Work instructions and have basic understanding of the process.
- b) Carry out welding of joints according to the relevant national / international standards within the permitted type of material, thickness, joint type and position covered in the WPS used.
- c) Conversant with hazards of gas and arc welding and correct precautions to be adopted.
1.5 Required ability:
Normal health, eyesight and color perception. Minor disabilities which do not affect the performance may be allowed with the discretion of the IIWIC (Example: eyesight corrected with glasses).
1.6.1 Prerequisite for access to the course: Not Applicable.
1.6.2 Prerequisites for certification:
- a) Class VIII pass with knowledge in regional language and basic English Vocabulary (May be relaxed as per the discretion of IIWIC).
- b) Minimum 6 months experience in the relevant welding process or has been previously trained in this job for a sufficient length of time.
- c) The candidate should be of minimum 18 years of age on the date of application for certification.
1.7 Required code of conduct:
The candidate should behave in a professional and disciplined manner so as not to affect the safety and security of his own and fellow workers. The candidate’s behaviour towards his superiors, peers and subordinates should be in line with organizational protocols.
1.8 Certification criteria/process requirements:
1.8.1 Initial certification
- a) Satisfactory Prerequisites.
- b) Satisfactory assessment result as per relevant standard.
- a) Satisfactory performance record during the period of certification as reported by employer.
- b) No recorded substantiated complaints at the time of recertification.
- c) Satisfactory assessment result.
- d) As specified in the relevant code / standard.
1.9 Assessment methods:
1.9.1 Initial certification: Satisfactory outcome in:
- a) Practical test.
- b) Any other requirement as per the relevant code / standard.
- a) Satisfactory outcome in Practical test
- b) Performance record during the period of certification as endorsed by the employer as per the relevant code / standard.
1.9.3 Period of validity of certification/recertification: As per the relevant code / standard.
1.10 Surveillance methods and criteria (if applicable): Not Applicable.
1.11 Criteria for suspending and withdrawing certification:
- a) Inappropriate use of the Certificate.
- b) Cessation of the certified activity for 6 (six) months or more, continuously;
- c) Unethical behaviour.
- d) Change in certification condition intimated to the certified person but not corrected within the time limit as advised by IIWIC.
1.12 Criteria for changing the scope/level of certification: Not Applicable.